Friday, January 23, 2009

Whew!

I'm heading to Seattle for a few days on business. I got well advance notice of this trip and immediately wondered what I was going to do with Pops. There's is absolutely now way he would survive the four days while I was gone. Having my Brother and his wife take him isn't an option as they both work full time and having him in a relatively unfamiliar home wouldn't work.

In comes respite care! Its all arranged now but what an ordeal (sort of). I first had to get his doctor to complete a health care questionnaire. Anyone that was had to get a doctor or his office staff of complete paperwork and probably atest to the fact that, THEY DON'T LIKE TO DO IT. But then again who does. Luckily Pops had a check up last month, three weeks after I faxed the forms for them to complete. I showed up for the appointment with a second copy vowing not to leave without it being completed. As I anticipated the forms were sitting in his file not completed but we filled them out right there on the spot. Then came the interview, they have to evaluate dads condition. Pops wasn't thrilled going there, even though he had no idea where he was going; and the questions that he couldn't answer like, "whats your age" and "do you know what city you're in" just added to his annoyance. Finally yesterday I had an orientation which lasted an hour with more paperwork to complete.

I'm just happy now that I have a place for him to go and that I don't have to worry while I'm gone. I am so looking forward to the trip now even though it's work related. I've been taking company trips for years, in the beginning I looked forward to them, then just tolerated them. Now it'll be almost like a vacation!

No comments: