Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Another beautiful day in Hell

Another day in hell. I heard banging around downstairs at 3:00am, the old man it up turning on and off lights and shining his flashlight around. I say screw it and go back to bed, its too early for the craziness.

As usual the morning starts OK a cup 'o joe and a bagel for breakfast. Today is a planned visit from his brother Lyle. Since Dad has taken a shower in so long I tell him, now is the time to shower. He stops and sighs and as he always does when the subject of a shower comes up says, "I want out". Not like I want out of the house but more like I don't want to live with you anymore. I don't quite now what it is with showers that is so disagreeable to him but they sure turn him upside down. I tell him his brother is coming to visit and he needs to take a shower. After some thought he agrees and takes a shower! Yea! No old man smell for at least a little while.

I continue to work and get ready for my day as I wont be there for the big visit. Day seems a nervous (as usual) and tries to think of a problem. Dad always thinks there is a problem. Two people have a conversation ... Dad (whats the problem) ... I clean the kitchen ... Dad (whats the problem. I breathe in and out ... dad (whats the problem). Nothing the fucking problem except your head god damn it! Opps was that my inside voice?

Dads walking around the house opening doors and saying Lyle are up there? Of course Lyle's not there he's not due far another few hours. But why should that matter when it comes to sanity. I head off to work and dad freaks ... you can stay here? Can't you skip out and stay? No dad you remember what work is like. This coming from a man you bragged for decades about what a work-a-holic he was I've worked for 10 15 20 years and never took a day off blah blah blah. I'm outta here!

The day ends early as I have office work to do and I get back around 1:15. I thought I might catch my aunt and uncle coming back from lunch with dad but no such luck. Dad is standing out front waving at passing car (for god knows what reason). He says some to the affect of the people were just here and I play stupid and just as a test ask, "who was here day?"; oh some people whose kids I used to go to school with back in Colorado Springs. There was a lady here I think her name was Shirley Judy. Side note, I think Shirley June is some woman dad use to bang back in the school days. I decide to drop the bomb, "Dad wasn't Lyle and Helen that were here?"; well I think Lyle was in and out but ... I don't know who it was.

The rest of the day went on much like that. Questions about his glasses, money clip, where his mother was, if I was his dad, and on and on.

Cant wait for tomorrow.

No comments: