Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wada weekend

I'm exhausted mentally and physically. Its been a tough weekend. Pops started, how do I say this delicately, ah ... having the runs? (I guess that works) last Friday. What a mess, lucky for me I still have some adult diapers around from an earlier time when I thought those might just best suit him. They ended up on suiting him before because it wasn't a control issue, it was more a location issue. Meaning he just didn't mess himself without thought, it was more along the lines of, I'd just rather pee in the hallway.

For this weekend it was ah. oppps I crapped my pants time. Well, in all honesty, I don't think he realized he crapped his pants; just that his seat was getting hot. I don't know how many we went through but more than I would care to really thing about. I started noticing today those that his mind was much less clear (if that is at all possible) then before. He has been picking things up that don't exist. I mean I watch him from across the room and he make the gesture that he is picking something off the floor and he carries it in his and and trys to set it down but in reality there is nothing there. Its the damnedest thing to watch. He'll come over and say, "what do you want me to do with this" and there's nothing there. What da say? I just pretend to take it from him. Someone told him that if dementia sufferers get dehydrated that it can become worse and I was witnessing that. So we made a trip to the store to get him some Pedialyte. By late Sunday I was seeing some improvement. But I'm totally spent.

Tomorrow I have to get everything ready for my trip to Seattle. That includes mostly getting him prepared to stay in Respite. I haven't and will not tell him I'm going and where he's staying, there really isn't a point. I am not going to worry while I'm gone I have total turn in the organization I'm leaving him with.

No comments: